Uttanasana is one of my favourite poses, I call it my reset pose. If I am having a melt down or just feeling a bit overwhelmed, no matter where I am I can do this pose. You can take yourself off to the loo if you are in work, do it in the garden or even in the middle of the supermarket if you find a quiet isle!
- Really helps clear the mind and keep you calm
- Stimulates the liver and kidneys
- Stretches the hamstrings, calves, and hips
- Can help improves digestion
Things to remember
- Never push yourself further than feels comfy
- Dont lock out your knees we want to keep those joints soft
- Be mindful if you have back issues or neck issues – only go halfway
How to do it
- Stand tall with your feet hip distance apart (you can play around with the distance as you play with the pose)
- Engage your core lightly and imagine your head is being pulled up to the sky
- With an engaged belly and core slowly fold forward with a long straight back
- Start with going half way and see how it feels – then progress to hanging all the way down
- Once you are all the way down relax your neck, let your head hang heavy (please do not do this if you have any neck issues)
- For even more release take your hands to your opposite elbows and hang with bent knees, you can gently swing from side to side
- Take long slow deep breaths, on each out breath allow your body to give in just a little more.
- For more of a back release bend your knees even deeper
- If you want to stretch your hamstrings more then straighten your legs (don’t lock them out).
Enjoy!! And share your forward folds on our FACEBOOK page.