I commute to work on the tram, I work in a big city, my job is demanding and as anyone in marketing will know it can be a pretty thankless industry. All of this adds up to one angry person, which is what I was in my 20’s. In my 30’s things didn’t look to change until I started to delve deeper into my yoga.
One thing people don’t always know about yoga is that is brings you closer to who you really are. You often have to face things about yourself that aren’t always easy to face. For me this was anger.
I often met criticism with an attack even if it was coming from a good place. I let other peoples actions make me angry even though it only made things worse. And the thing that really stings is I only harmed myself.
There is a great adage that basically says staying angry at someone is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.
I’m not saying that I don’t get angry or I’m not hurt by others actions sometimes. What I am saying is that I can now step away from these feelings, acknowledge them and then send peace and love out into the world. It’s not always easy, and sometimes people will make it very hard for you but this is the key to not letting anger get the better of you.
I can now honestly say that I feel lighter and more content. It still takes work every day, and there are times I struggle to step back from my feelings however each time I do I feel a weight has lifted from me.
So try it!
A little how to guide –
- When you are feeling angry or attacked take deep breathes and assess the situation before you do anything
- Take yourself away from everyone if possible just for 2 minutes
- Acknowledge how you feel and allow yourself to be angry, it’s not a crime
- Once you have embraced the anger, let it go
- Send peace and love to those you were angry with as well as the world in general
- Repeat to yourself ‘I send you peace and love in everything you do’ (silently if in a public place, talking to yourself is considered odd)
- Then one final deep out breathe, and move on.
Good luck! And if you have any tips for angry let me know!